We’re not just a place to work. We are a community that shares a set of values and beliefs. Those values and beliefs bring us together and define how we approach all we do.
The Core Values of Coworking
Cowork Frederick was inspired by the core values of coworking established when the coworking movement took root. To this day, those values inspire and guide all we do at Cowork Frederick.
Community – Cowork Frederick is people working side-by-side, sharing, learning, growing. Cowork Frederick is our members, not the building or logo. Our emphasis is on people above everything else. At Cowork Frederick we also say coworking is communal to emphasize that, in the ways that really count, Cowork Frederick “belongs” to our collective members.
Openness – Openness is about ideas, freely shared. It’s about welcoming all to our community. It allows people to develop trustworthy relationships (necessary for collaboration). It lets people be themselves without worrying about judgment. All people and ideas are welcome (except, of course, any abuse, negativity, or offense). This is not just about being open-minded. It’s about being open-hearted.
Collaboration – Healthy competition is great. It challenges us to be better. But, collaboration is valued more. And, why not, when you’re surrounded by people with so many different backgrounds and skills? Whether it’s a quick chat about an idea or a month’s long project, collaboration almost always yields more creative, better results. Our space and activities are designed to encourage interaction between members with the goal of fostering collaboration and “organic” incubation of member businesses.
Sustainability – Sustainability in a coworking community is about supporting, nourishing, about “buoying up” fellow coworkers. There’s a “pay it forward” vibe to a coworking community. It’s also about continuity, about making sure there’s a continuous loop of giving and receiving that balances out so the community can persist.
Accessibility – We’re not into closed doors or silos. Unless a room is reserved, you’re welcome to use it. We don’t track printed pages or cups of coffee. With few exceptions, if it’s in the building, you’re free to use it. As for ADA-type accessibility, while we remodeled our downstairs bathroom to make it accessible, we were not able to make the building itself accessible. Good news is, anyone can “access” coworking. In fact, you don’t need a special coworking space to do it. You can cowork in a living room, in a park, or somebody else’s office. You decide when, how, and where you work.
The shared values of Cowork Frederick members
Back in 2019, members of Cowork Frederick got together to further explore the values that define who we are as a community. They came up with this list, which we think is pretty great:
- Authenticity (being real, truthful, open)
- Boldness (taking risks, working through fear)
- Curiosity (thirsting for knowledge, exploring ideas)
- Excellence (mastering our craft, reaching for perfection)
- Generosity (helping others, giving back)
- Tenacity (not giving up, even when it’s hard)
- Resilience (getting back up and trying again)
- Balance (keeping things in proper proportion)
We believe …
- Many hands make for quick work. Many minds make for a better outcome.
- Competition is healthy. It makes us stronger. We celebrate and learn from other’s success.
- Collaboration is better. We can go farther together than we ever could alone.
- Innovation thrives in a diverse community.
- Life – and work – are participatory sports.
- Failure is a learning experience and should be embraced, not feared.
- We should continually strive to have a positive impact locally and globally.
- Coworking isn’t about a different place to work; it’s about a better way to work.
- Working for ourselves isn’t about a different kind of paycheck; it’s a different kind of life.