The best thing about Cowork Frederick is the people. Check out the Member Spotlights below for a glimpse into who you might run into on a day of coworking with us or at one of our events.
Who are we?
We are software developers, marketers, attorneys, writers, engineers, project managers, scientists, and more. We are independents and freelancers, teleworkers, creatives and entrepreneurs. We could work anywhere, but we choose to come together to do our work in the building at 122 E Patrick St.
Because together is better (TM) isn’t just our tag line. We really do believe that we are happier and healthier when we are part of a community. Creativity is stimulated by conversations with others or seeing the work they do. Others challenge us to be better. The list goes on and on.
- Member Spotlight: Christine GilbertChristine Gilbert has spent more than 30 years doing marketing in national, B2B companies in a wide variety of industries, including multifamily housing, printing, mortgage, nonprofits, and environmental. She has extensive experience in strategic planning and tactical implementation of marketing plans and has become adept at emerging as an expert within a market and the […]
- Member Spotlight: Andy HesslerAndy Hessler is a mechanical engineer who specializes in hydraulic system design. He has worked on platforms diverse as forklifts, combines, and crawler cranes. The challenges he faced led to him to dive deep into the analysis of fluid power and tribology (the study of friction and wear) and, ultimately, to the creation of Brokkr […]
- Member Spotlight: Kathy DienerKathy Diener is an attorney who specializes in helping veterans who are seeking disability benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Kathy brings the expertise and experience needed to navigate the appeals process when benefit claims are denied (VA regulations don’t allow veterans to hire an attorney until then). To a lesser extent she also […]
- Member Spotlight: Jane HelmJane is a Certified Financial Coach who followed her passion to help people with their everyday financial decision making. She specializes in helping her clients gain clarity around financial goal setting, communication and action steps that lead to increased confidence in their money lives. Combining her training and experience as a financial coach and her […]
- Member Spotlight: Matt JohnstonMatt Johnston (#Mattthelawyer) is a small business attorney. He has been in private practice since 2007 and launched his own practice, the Johnston Business Law Group in 2012. Matt is also the co-owner of Jammy Jams, a music company creating lullaby music using popular music as the source material, and Very Important Parent, a company that […]
- Member Spotlight: Julia FergusonAs a founder and keeper of Cowork Frederick Julia Ferguson juggles an almost inexhaustible number of roles, but at the heart of her mission is the desire to see people from all walks of life connect, grow, and thrive through building a supportive, engaging community.
- Member Spotlight: Joel HallJoel has spent the last 25 years helping others get the support they need. Whether he’s working one-on-one with people to connect them to programs that will support their growth and rehabilitation or overseeing discretionary grants programs at the State and local level, helping improve the lives of others is Joel’s calling in life.
- Member Spotlight: Liz Van BruntLiz at a Glance Profession: President of Your Third Hand Contact Info: email@example.com Personal Motto: “Don’t take it personally.” Why she chooses to cowork: To be amongst others who also seek community while working remotely. Virtual Office Management For more than 20 years Liz Van Brunt has made helping small businesses run smoothly her profession. […]
- Member Spotlight: Courtney CromartiePivoting professions can be a messy and daunting process. Learn how one member is navigating the switch from the culinary world to the engineering and technology industry and hear her top tips for handling the chaos that comes along with a big career change.
- Featured Member: Sue SlagleRecently moved to Frederick from Portland, OR, Sue Slagle is an artist, co-owner of Kevin Slagle Design and Build (KSDB), and a property manager. Her dual interests in art and technology have led her down a fascinating path that reveals the power of saying yes and seeking out your community.
- Featured Member: Charles T “Teddy” Galloway IIITeddy Galloway is an entrepreneur and instructor with a big vision for the world. After spending the last 15 years responding to and teaching others how to respond to emergency situations involving chemical, biological, radiation, and nuclear weapons he is ready to launch a series of projects targeting a cause closer to his heart. WeThrive […]
- Featured Cowork Frederick Member: Sam St-PhardSam St-Phard is an insurance benefits broker and small business owner in downtown Frederick. He is the founder and Principal Broker of SSP Benefits, a group that assembles insurance plans on a mass scale for employers to offer their employees. Sam is also the owner and founder of DMG Expediters and Couriers, a company that […]
- Featured Member: Bliss SpillarBliss Spillar is the Lead Pastor at Redemption City Church, a new church in downtown Frederick that he founded – Bliss prefers “planted” – in November 2014. He draws many parallels between founding a church and founding a company. He’s an entrepreneur, focused on vision, mission and leadership development. He just happens to be building […]
- Featured Member: Emily LucasEmily Lucas is the Membership and Operations Director at the Association for the Study of Middle East and Africa (ASMEA), an organization that promotes a greater understanding of the region by fostering freedom in teaching and acceptance of all viewpoints. Emily is one of three at ASMEA. Because of its small size, Emily wears many […]
- Featured Member: Kevin LynchKevin Lynch is a Senior Manager at FTI Consulting, a company that provides businesses around the world with short and long-term guidance to excel in their field. Working with a team of twelve, he manages a Salesforce application, the internal, cloud-based Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system that keeps FTI Consulting running smoothly. With a Bachelor’s […]
- Featured Member: Kimba GreenKimba Green is the Chief Engagement Officer of White Lion Social, a business she launched in 2010 and the latest in a long line of successful business endeavors. The company name is derived from her own name and a cartoon of her childhood, Kimba the White Lion. Kimba is equal part free spirit, savvy business person, […]
- Featured Member: Patrick PiersonPatrick Pierson is an Amazon Web Services (AWS) guy. He holds multiple AWS certifications, including AWS SysOps Administrator, AWS Business Professional, and AWS Technical Professional. He uses and advocates for AWS in his professional job and he runs an AWS meetup group. Just the mention of AWS in Patrick’s presence can spark an enthusiastic discussion. […]
- Featured Member: Thomas TalbotThomas Talbot is a doctor, award-winning of builder of ‘serious games’ and virtual reality simulations, a consultant, speaker, and published author (“Androids: Build your own more lifelike robots”, “Virtual Reality Applications to Address the Wounds of War”). He’s a visionary when it comes to robotics, the Internet of Things, Human Computer Interaction & Innovative Devices. […]
- Featured Member: Wayne DorseyWayne Dorsey moved up and down the eastern states as a child, rarely staying in one place more than 2 years. “It wasn’t a military thing”, Wayne clarified. It was a life thing. Frederick was among those places and his memories of this area and nearby family would ultimately bring him back to launch a […]
- Featured Member: Jennifer GerlockMy first memory of Jennifer Gerlock is from early Cowork Frederick members defined her as someone “who ABSOLUTELY HAS to join Cowork Frederick”. I later met her – briefly – at an AAF Christmas Party. Soon she was stopping by for meetings with Cowork Frederick members. She began promoting us, introducing us to Ananda at WHAG, who did a […]
- Featured Member: Jim RobinsonJim Robinson has entrepreneurship in his blood. He’s full of ideas, is restless, driven, and insatiably curious. Given all that, he’s also surprisingly mild-mannered and, well, nice. His most recent entrepreneurial endeavor is “ClickSeed”, an SEO & digital marketing agency based in Frederick, Maryland. But we’ll get to that. Let’s start at the beginning. Jim […]
- Featured Member: Derrick MillerOur featured member in June has been an IT Geek for as long as he can remember. He “went nuts” (his words) over a TRS-80 computer in middle school, diving into BASIC programming. His dad bought him a Commodore 64 to use at home and the rest is history. Derrick went on to teach himself Assembly, C, […]