Wrestling with a business problem and want some help? Bring it to this “How Do I?” session.
Want to help others – or learn as the group discusses business problems? Yep. Come to this “How Do I?”
What is a “How Do I?”
A “How Do I?” is collaborative workshop designed to help people with business problems by providing a venue to talk through that problem and get suggestions for solving it.
Why come to a How Do I?
When facing problems we sometimes get stuck in a thought loop chamber and can’t break out. People outside the problem can provide solutions we might not think of. Plus, group efforts – especially with diverse groups – simply result in better outcomes. Someone who works on their own can find it especially hard to get such group interaction – but not if you’re a member of Cowork Frederick.
Oh – and – these sessions are a great way to learn while listening to the discussion. Come listen, learn, and contribute. Don’t think you’re enough of an “expert” to contribute? You might be surprised. Come see.
How It Works
- Someone gets 5 minutes to describe a business problem.
- Then the group has 5 minutes to ask clarifying questions to make sure there’s a clear understanding of the problem (this sometimes leads to a redefinition of the problem itself).
- Once the true business problem is confirmed, the group has 5 minutes to offer suggestions.
- Suggestions are not discussed in the session; they are simply received with a “thank you”. This avoids knee-jerk reactions to suggestions or getting caught in “analysis paralysis”. The idea is for the “someone” to take time for the suggestions to sink in and to consider how (and if) they should be applied.
- We do this once a month and it’s A-OK to bring a problem back, with updates on what has been tried, to a future session.
- Allowing time for greetings, transition, and possible overruns (that the group OK’s), we can handle 3 business problems in each one-hour session.
The 3 Rules of “How Do I?”
Outside of our usual Playground Rules, these three rules apply:
- Business problems only
- What’s said in the room, stays in the room (like Vegas, but without the alcohol)
- Judgment free zone