Most of the time Cowork Frederick is a place where our members (“Coworkers”) come to do their work. We have events for our members such as lunch-and-learns and happy hours, as well as events open to the public. Among those open to the public is Frederick Artists Night (FAN), an event that goes hand-in-hand with our Artist of the Month Program. FAN includes an art exhibit by a local (Frederick County) artist, music from a local singer/songwriter/musician, and may also include poetry readings, or talks about artistry. Why? Because, as we posted back in 2014, local art matters.
About Cowork Frederick’s Artist of the Month Program
Our Artist of the Month Program brings local art to the walls of Cowork Frederick for a more creative, vibrant work environment while promoting local art. The program includes hosting a Frederick Artists Night (FAN) event the first Saturday of each month where local artists exhibit their work to the general public. Qualifying participants are assigned a month on a first-come-first-served basis. Art is hung the week prior to the first Saturday of the month is left on our art roughly 30 days. Past artists include Sara Knox, Sumner Crenshaw, Bill Adkins, and Tom Semmes.
To qualify for Cowork Frederick’s Artist of the Month program:
- You must live and/or operate a studio within Frederick County.
- Your art must be hang-able and, ideally, framed or at least matted (if applicable).
- Your art must be office and kid friendly (no nudity, no violence, no foul language).
- You must be able to hang enough art to cover a 30-foot wall (you can team up with another artist if you want).
- You must participate in a FAN event on the First Saturday of the month you are assigned.
Cowork Frederick’s Art Wall
Cowork Frederick’s art wall is located in our “Community Room” (a large room on our first floor). It has a gallery-style hanging system and gallery lighting. The wall is roughly 30 feet wide, so it can hold a lot of art. Think 8 large (36 inches wide), 12 medium (24 inches), or 30 small pieces (or a combination thereof). Even more if hung in columns. All art displayed under the Artist of the Month program must be hung on this wall. Additional pieces and promotional materials for sale can be placed on tables for the FAN event.
About Frederick Artists Night (FAN)
On the First Saturday of each month, Cowork Frederick celebrates local creativity with an event we call “Frederick Artists Night”. The event is open to the public and runs from 3:00 to 9:00 pm (to coincide with and qualify for Downtown Frederick First Saturday promotion).
The Artist of the Month holds a reception for his/her art exhibit and is present with the art from 3:00 to 9:00 pm to answer questions and talk about his/her art. The art hung on the wall can be sold, as can additional items such as calendars, postcards, notepads, or refrigerator magnets – as long as they contain artwork from the Artist of the Month. We encourage artists to be creative on how they take advantage of this opportunity. Cowork Frederick does not take a commission on any of it.
Live acoustic music from local (Frederick County) musicians is played, usually from 5:00 to 7:00 pm. We aim for at least some original compositions. After all, the point of the FAN event is to celebrate creativity. Musicians set up inside in a room adjacent the Community Room where the art is hung or, weather permitting, on the sidewalk in front of our building. Visitors are welcome to grab a chair and listen or just wander through the art exhibit. Poetry readings, or talks about creativity may also take place in this room. We’re open to suggestions that help raise the creative vibe for Frederick Artists night.
Why be a Cowork Frederick Artist of the Month?
- Exposure – First and foremost, this is a way for your art to be seen. The FAN event occurs on a First Saturday for optimal downtown foot traffic. You can also hold a second private showing later in the month. Other times, your art can be seen by the 40+ people who do their work at Cowork Frederick, as well as their guests, and others who rent our meeting rooms or attend an event.
- Promotion – Cowork Frederick promotes the Frederick Artists Night event and your exhibit with posters around town, social media posts, and a spot on our event calendar. We post the exhibit with the Downtown Frederick Partnership for their First Saturday event list. Of course we encourage you to promote the event too.
- No Judging – This is a non-juried event. We only ask that your art is office and kid friendly. Never done an exhibit before? No problem. We’re all about stepping up, trying something new, and learning. We’ve been “the first” for many artists.
- Earnings – We can’t promise you’ll sell anything, but we can promise you get to keep the entire amount of any sale you make. Cowork Frederick does not take a commission.
- Music – Live music helps bring people in the door and keeps them around longer. Plus, it can make the night more fun for you too.
- Supporting Creativity – Art helps to create a vibrant, creative vibe for Cowork Frederick members to work.